January 31, 2010

Rare Ryan Flying Again

A week ago I finally laid eyes on the rare Ryan ST I had heard about for years. Reb Stimson, fellow Texas Chapter member of the Antique Airplane Assoc., has owned NC14986 since 1974 and recently brought this Ryan back to flying condition. A few years ago Reb told me about his Ryan ST and his plan to return it to the air.  Almost every time I saw him I would ask about the status of the Ryan. At our January members meeting Reb said it was back in his hangar in flying condition. With a few phone calls I arranged a meeting. I just had to see the ship with my own eyes! The Ryan STA is on my top ten favorite airplane list. My father-in-law took the afternoon to join me in visiting the prized Ryan. What a beautiful ship and an amazing restoration! Hats off to Reb and his persistence to see the restoration through to completion! Posted here is a photo of it tucked away in the hangar. When the weather warms up I hope to see this bird out and about in the blue skies!

No comments:

2023 Aviators Gift Guide

 We have a some recommendations for you to order a few last minute Christmas gifts for the aviation enthusiast in your life. There might jus...